The KOREA Championships of Cosplay is a craftsmanship award show and final winner will be decided after pre-judging session and a stage display. Entries must represent an existing or recognizable character or element from the pop culture realm, including comic books, movies & television, video games, anime & manga or fantasy:
• Comic Books – Examples include: Superman, Spider-Man, Poison Ivy, Dr. Doom, Rogue, etc.
• Movies & Television – Examples include: Darth Vader, The Doctor, Rick Grimes, The Terminator, Daenerys Targaryen, Hit-Girl, etc.
• Video Games – Examples include: Master Chief, Sarah Kerrigan, Booker DeWitt, Lara Croft, Link, Samus Aran, etc.
• Anime & Manga - Ichigo Kurosaki, Mikasa Ackermanm, Sheryl Nome, Captain Harlock, Eva-01, etc.
• Fantasy – Examples include: Witches, Princesses, Zombies, Pirates, Vampires, Steampunk, etc.
The crafted costumes will be categorized into 4 types as mentioned below. This will make no effect in judging process however it will be used as description of such costume type.
• Armor – Cosplay constructed primarily by molding and shaping its outer layers using acrylic, EVA foam, worbla, wonderflex, cardboard, etc.
• Larger Than Life – Cosplay that encloses the maker and extends their limbs by at least one-foot in length.
• FX – Cosplay that primarily features animatronics, optical effects, mechanical effects, special effects makeup, prosthetics, etc.
• Needlework – Cosplay constructed primarily through sewing, stitching, embroidery, etc.
Each participant will submit an application to be reviewed by the CCS Team. Participants may only enter one costume into the competition. Shortlisted participants will be contacted by the CCS Team and advance to the competition stage.
Participants will be judged solely on the quality and craftsmanship of their costumes. No store bought costumes will be eligible to enter.
Shortlisted participants will be pre-judged for craftsmanship off stage and then compete on the Amazing stage. Each participant will be given approximately one minute to exhibit two to three poses before exiting the stage. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed as pre-selected music(appx 2 minutes) will play throughout the competition.
Prizes First Place
• 2,000,000 won prize award for 1st place
• Automatic entry into the Crown Championships of Cosplay finals at C2E2 2019 (held in Chicago, USA)
• 2x VIP Tickets for C2E2 2019
• 2x economy round trip tickets from Korea to USA to attend C2E2 2019
• Hotel (twin bed) for two nights in Chicago for C2E2 2019
• Meal allowance and transportation is covered for C2E2 2019
• 2 x Super GEEK Pass (3days) for CCS 2019
• Certificate & Grand Champion medal
• 1,000,000 won prize award for 2nd place
• 2x Super GEEK Pass (3days) for CCS 2019
• Certificate & Second Place medal
• 500,000 won prize award for 3rd place
• 2x Super GEEK Pass (3days) for CCS 2019
• Certificate & Third Place medal
Participants in the KOREA Championship of Cosplay must adhere to the following:
1. All shortlisted participants are responsible for all expenses related to competing in the KOREA Championships of Cosplay, including accommodation and travel expense.
2. All shortlisted participants must have a valid CCS 2018 ticket to gain access during the day of the competition. (Guidance for delivery & receive of ticket will be announced later)
3. A participant may participate in the KOREA Championships of Cosplay only once. Applicants may not register multiple times with multiple costumes. A participant can only enter once and only wear one costume.
4. Group costumes are NOT allowed.
5. All shortlisted participants must provide a written description that the emcee will read during their appearance on stage. This may describe the details of the costume or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the crafting process, used materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the judges and the fans. This description is limited to 50words. The KOREA Championships of Cosplay reserves the right to edit introduction material in terms of time and content appropriately for the show.
6. All shortlisted participants must check in for pre-judging on the day of the competition. The shortlisted participants will be disqualified immediately if failed to appear at check-in desk and the costume must be worn when checking in. Back stage judging will take place prior to main stage judging so please collect your complimentary ticket prior to the check-in. Detail information will be announced shortly before an event takes place.
7. To be judged accurately, please submit a color photo of front and back side of your costume with your application as a visual reference.
8. Electronic media (i.e. CDs) will not be accepted nor will bringing a laptop or video device to pre-judging. No skits & theater plays are allowed on stage or during judging.
9. No profanity is allowed on stage. That includes messages on signs or clothes. On violation, the participant will be disqualified immediately from the competition.
10. No political or religious statements are allowed on stage or during judging. On violation, the participant will be disqualified immediately from the competition.
11. Cosplay & costume which promote/use alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco products, firearms/weapons OR any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous OR contains any particular political agenda or message will be strictly prohibited.
12. Costumes cannot be obscene, offensive or endorse any form of hatred or hate group;
13. Costume cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about CCS or its products, or other people, products or companies;
14. Costume cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which CCS wishes to associate; and
15. Costume cannot depict any violation designated by Korean law.
16. Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially disturb or displease other participants. Any participants with body paint or make-up must keep certain distance to avoid any sort of contact to prevent leaving stains on other participant’s costume. Stage props or theatrical properties that may damage other participant’s costume are strictly prohibited on the stage.
17. Comic Con Seoul is ‘Family friendly event’ therefore all sorts of costumes that are against public morality such as nudity, gore, graphic violence, and other offensive OR unpleasant expression OR act are strictly prohibited and will be disqualified immediately by judges or organizer.
18. Participants are responsible for their own belongings. Comic Con Seoul is NOT responsible for participants’ personal items. Accompanied with assistant to secure your personal belongings are highly recommended (Shortlisted participants will get 1 free ticket for the assistant).
19. On violation of any regulation mentioned above, the participant will be disqualified immediately on sole decision of the organizer. Please note that the winner will only be decided by the judges.
20. All the costumes must be crafted by the participant and commercial products cannot be worn during the contest. Leotard, tights and shoes might be an exceptional HOWEVER, participant must involve more or less to 60% of entire handmade process which can be proved with the pictures containing the entire process THEREFORE, at least 5 pictures with description must be submitted as reference to the judge. Any participant willing to modify the commercial product must follow same procedure and wearing finished costume will restrict participant from attending the contest.
*If the organizer / judge discovers the fact that the participant’s costume is a commercial product, participant will be disqualified immediately upon the decision of the organizer and participant will be charged to take all accountability on consequences.
21. No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be built-in inside your costume.
22. Wings, large props, or large costumes are just fine, but if your costume is over 2.5 metre tall, or 1 metre wide you may not fit through the doors. If possible, make wings and other parts that make your costume detachable. We have no limit on the size of costumes or props. But your costume must allow movement with limited assistance; it must not impede your ability to get on and off stage and be crafted prior to stage display. Be aware that the responsibility is solely on the participant if big sized costume or prop damages the asset of contest such as stage, light, and any installments. Please secure from all the potential accidents that may occur by negligence to following instruction.
23. All the participants must be above 8 years old.
24. All shortlisted participants who make it to pre-judging will be required to sign a permission/release/waiver form to participate in the contest. Especially, minors who are under 18 years old will be requested to submit guardian’s consent so please sign and submit the forwarded consent.
25. Any prize won by an eligible participant who is a minor will be awarded to the minor’s parent or legal guardian therefore submission of signed consent is compulsory. Receiving the prize is contingent upon compliance with these official regulations.
26. By accepting a prize, all the winners agrees NOT to damage property of Sponsor and its direct and indirect subsidiaries, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers (if any), and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents; from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Competition or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Violation of this regulation will lead to cancellation and abortion of the final result
27. Comic Con Seoul reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the competition, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Comic Con Seoul’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Comic Con Seoul reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of the Official Regulations of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Comic Con Seoul reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Comic Con Seoul’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Regulations shall NOT constitute a waiver of that provision.
28. Limitations of Liability: Comic Con Seoul is not responsible for:
(1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by participants, typographical errors, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition;
(2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software;
(3) unauthorized human intervention in any part
of the entry process or the Competition;
(4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Competition or the processing of entries; or
(5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participant’s participation in the Competition or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an participant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, participant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Competition, if it is possible. If the Competition, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize offered herein.
29. The final decision is sole discretion of the judge. All the weapon props made with EVA foam, formex, hardboard, wood, polystyrenes and other light material are allowed in the contest. For gun props, it is allowed only if it doesn’t cause any confusion with actual guns. Bow props are allowed only if the arrow points are made with soft materials.
For safety issue, Comic Con Seoul strictly prohibits dangerous contrabands. At the same time Comic Con Seoul is obliged to create best environment for the cosplayers to enjoy their creativity as well. HOWEVER, if participant cause damage or harms other visitor directly OR indirectly at the venue, the responsibility is solely on the participant. Please note that possession of following weapon OR weapon props may confiscate to organizer and staff if the weapon prop’s muzzle is NOT closed with the colored caps .
• Functional firearms (including replica and all sorts of functional firearms)
• Chemical weapons (including A self-defense spray, mustard spray and pepper spray)
• Explosives (including firecrackers and fireworks)
• Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, silly string, slingshots, water balloons and water guns)
• Sharpened metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatches, knives, kunai, shuriken, swords, sword canes and switch blades)
• All sorts of weapon & weapon props that can harm other visitors directly or indirectly